Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Roller Girl

Last night was skate night for my school.  I have not been to any of them this year, so I thought why not take Avery and see what she can do.  She has NEVER stepped foot into rollerskates of any kind, but there's a 1st time for everything right?  I was really really really hoping they'd have the "grow with me" skates there for little kids, but they did not.  So we had no choice but to put her in the real deal.  The smallest size they had were 8s and to my surprise they fit great.  I don't think I've ever see a cuter pair of roller skates in my life.  I do believe the two skates together weighed more than my 2 1/2 year old child, but whatever.  Joe and I got her laced up and she was ready to go.  Home girl was so excited because she's watched Caillou ice skate and she thought it was be just like that.
ready or not... seriously, check out those skates!!
Well it wasn't that easy, even though she thought she was doing great and really that's all that matters right?
Don't worry, both arms are still in their sockets :) 
I saw several kids with what looked like "walkers" for senior citizens with wheels.  I sent Joe to find one for Avery so he and I wouldn't have back pain for days on end walking around with her.  In the meantime I tried taking her out on the rink, but they kicked me off because I wasn't wearing skates.  Um seriously, would you rather have an 8 month pregnant woman out here on skates? I think not.  Joe came back with the great skate walker thing and proceeded to tell me it cost $4.00 to rent.  Geez people- seriously?   Luckily there were some sweet girls from my school who offered to help Avery on the rink.  I think they thought it was going to be easier than it actually was because they didn't make it very far with her. 
I might be a millionaire if I invented this little thing 
We tried to keep Avery contained to the carpet area where "skateless" people were allowed, but Avery being the stubborn child she is wanted to go out on the rink by herself because she thinks she's actually 6 years old and can "do it by herself."  A snow cone held her off for a short while then we decided it was way too close to bedtime and we were probably in for a meltdown no matter what we did.  We returned the skates and the meltdown unfolded, but daddy talked her out of it in the car by distracting her with questions about other random things.  He's gotten pretty good at that :) Her memories of skating are good and she said she had a lot of fun and wants to go back.  I think a pair of plastic skates that she can wear over the shoes are a near future purchase.  




1 comment:

  1. That is so cute and the video is funny, poor thing can't even lift her own feet!!!
    p.s. that video looks just like you!!

    ReplyDelete